Hearing is essential to the enjoyment of everyday life. While hearing loss is invisible, the effects are not. Helen Keller called deafness “a worse misfortune than being blind – when you lose your vision you lose contact with things, when you lose your hearing you lose contact with people”. What are hearing loss and their types? let me clear this in a simple and lucid language.
Hearing loss typically occurs gradually and many people do not realize the damaging effects that occur with hearing changes. As America ages and Baby Boomers are expected to live longer than any previous generation, hearing impairment will reach new levels in the coming decades. Currently, only one in five people with hearing loss seek appropriate treatment. This is particularly alarming since untreated hearing loss can lead to an increase in depression, anxiety, and isolation from family and friends.
Types of Hearing Loss
There are three types of Hearing Loss;
Sensorineural hearing loss: This occurs in the inner ear.
Mixed hearing loss: It is a combination of a conductive and a sensorineural hearing loss.
Conductive hearing loss: This occurs in the middle and outer ear.
There are hearing aids available in with signia which can help with all types of hearing loss. i.e Styletto Connect, Styletto.
Sensorineural hearing loss causes;
- Listening to loud noises at pubs, music or concert
- Due to Illnesses.
- Due to occupational hazards being on construction sites and near explosions.
- Intake of Toxic drug.
- Genetic history of hearing loss that runs in the family.
- Aging with time.
- Due to a blow to the head by some object
- The formation of the inner ear during birth (birth defect)
Conductive hearing loss causes;
- Defect since birth as some people are born without an ear
- The Swimmer’s ear, it’s basically an Infection in the ear canal
- Ear wax which is stuck in your ear canal.
- Accumulation of fluid in your middle ear from colds or allergies.
- Ear Infection / Otitis media.
- An external object which is possibly stuck in your outer
Mixed hearing loss causes;
Occupational hazards like working on a construction site where you are subject to loud noise and if you have the problem of fluid in your ear that can lead to mixed hearing loss.
Citation: Deafness Foundation more about hearing loss